Thursday 15 September 2011

Interning.

It's been like 6 or 7 weeks since my internship has started. And there's barely been a few blog posts from me! Okay I henceforth blame my lack of updates on the horrible life of an intern. I miss school and wish I could relive my educational journey from the beginning again. This time I would appreciate recess times and P.E. periods better. And assembly. They should implement P.E. periods at work. Maybe free gym membership or something.

Work has been, an experience I guess. I wouldn't want to call it good because that generalizes it into something positive on the whole and leaves it at that. One assumes that work is good all the time but in reality it isn't really. It's more of good at times, bad at times, and most of the times it's neither good nor bad.

Anyways, it kind of feels like I'm immersed into a very different culture all over again. I speak Chinese to my colleagues a lot more now, and this has been good practice since I've not really used Chinese much after graduating from secondary school three years ago. But my Chinese isn't very strong so it's interspersed with English words whenever I can't think of a Chinese translation. Haha. The whole environment I guess is quite different from what I've been used to. If anything, it reminds me more of my time in secondary school than in Polytechnic. I don't really know how to define it. The social interactions you have with the people around you? And I can't pinpoint what makes the interactions different either. The culture? The income-tier? Chinese/English speaking background? Religious views? Maybe it's just the cumulative effect of all these differing factors. It just feels different from what I've been 'immersed' in for the past 3 years or so.

A part of my job at times (amongst many other things) is to go to companies to deliver the photographs that we shot, or collect and return products that we shot. And I've been quite surprised at the amount of offices and businesses we have in Singapore. There are businesses for everything! With their own administrative staff, finance staff, management, supervisors, workers, and interns like me. With their own letterheads and pantries and storerooms and vehicles and warehouses. There's even businesses that sell office supplies to other businesses! All really mind-blowing to me haha. Probably it's just me being blissfully unaware all these years. I've never really flipped through the yellow pages before either.

Other aspects of my life as an intern has been sweeping, vacuuming and mopping the floor, doing the dishes, throwing out the trash, making coffee and tea, buying lunch, buying milk (I bought milk three times already!), moving things around, feeding the fish, and of course assisting the photographers if they need help shooting, and photoshopping after that. It's been great because every day is different and I'm never at a desk. And it's been terrible because every day is different and I'm never at a desk. (which means I can't facebook or surf the internet or distract myself mindless when no one is watching!)

Okay I think this has been a huge chunk of words!

No comments: